Temperatures are rising and it is time to get outside and play. While many pet owners have already purchased water toys, outdoor beds and towels for beach and pool visits, some dogs who once had comfortable lives spend their summers in need of attention and love. The Old Dog House, Northeast Florida’s first nonprofit, 501c(3) organization dedicated to giving older dogs a chance at a new life, is sharing five reasons to donate to the organization to help senior dogs this summer:
- Dogs Can’t Feed and Shelter Themselves: In the heat of the summer, it can be even harder for abandoned and lonely dogs to fend for themselves. Dogs who have lost their families and are alone on the streets may come out of hiding when temperatures soar. Many are turned over to The Old Dog House for food and shelter (including cold water and cool air conditioning) when Florida summers become overwhelming.
- Old Dogs Can’t Handle the Heat: Because dogs can’t sweat through their skin the way humans do, it is difficult for them to cool down in the extreme summer heat. As the sun shines down, the heat can be even tougher on older dogs whose bodies are more sensitive to temperatures changes and are more likely to overheat. Homeless dogs like those cared for at The Old Dog House need extra funds to pay for cold water, shade and air conditioning to keep them safe from the dangers of the heat.
- Summer Storms are Scary: Thunder and lightening can spook us all, but for dogs without shelter, it is especially unnerving. Some dogs even escape from their homes when they hear loud noises, and some of those senior dogs may end up at The Old Dog House.
- Some Senior Dogs Actually Need the Pool: Hydrotherapy is a great way to help senior dogs with joint pain like arthritis. At The Old Dog House, we are raising funds to build a pool just for dog rehabilitation here in Jacksonville. Because hydrotherapy pools are shallower and require extra filtration to handle dog fur, The Old Dog House has started a pool fund to get our dogs swimming towards less pain.
- As We Head Off for Vacation, Many Forget to Give: When school is out for the summer, we often head off for fun trips and relaxing getaways, forgetting about the less fortunate among us. This is one of the times The Old Dog House needs your help. Donate today to help The Old Dogs have a vacation of their own in a loving home.
The Old Dog House is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) charitable organization located in Jacksonville, Florida, dedicated to giving older and senior dogs a second chance at a new life. At so many shelters, the age of a dog determines its chances of reaching the adoption floor to find a new forever home.As a result, many wonderful dogs are denied the ability to live out their lives in dignity, surrounded by love. The Old Dog House aims to enlighten the public to the joys of owning an older or senior dog through educational programs and to place rescued dogs into true forever homes through adoption programs. The dogs that come into the care of The Old Dog House will remain in our care until adopted. We rely solely on donations from the public to support our organization. 100% of donations received are used for the care and rehabilitation of the dogs at The Old Dog House. Every penny makes a difference and is greatly appreciated!